Saturday, September 1, 2012

T-197 : Rich Jerks?

I read a thought-provoking article today in the Deseret News (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765598658/Are-rich-people-jerks-Well-its-complicated.html?pg=all) that changed my perspective a bit.  Here's the key quote:
People with less can feel empowered by a sense of moral superiority over those who have more, but...it's a false pride. It's every bit as damaging as the character flaws the poor accuse the wealthy of possessing.
For too much of my life I've been a "poor" person accusing the "wealthy" of being stingy jerks.  I'm finally starting to realize that that is a faulty notion.  Moreover, it's damaging to my soul and stunting to my spiritual growth.  As with many of the things that I blog, tweet, and post on Facebook, I post this here as a reminder to myself to change for the better.  I wonder if some people accusing Mitt Romney of being out of touch because of his wealth might not need to take a step back and try to be a little more understanding before they cast stones.

Come along with me?

1 comment:

Tara McLean Derricott said...

I think a little more understanding and tolerance would go a long way in all areas of life!