Monday, September 24, 2012

T-155 : Serendipitous Circumstances

Today I took a walk to our family bank to withdraw money that we'd been using as a business account then promptly walked across town to deposit it in another bank where I had an account that I opened months ago when they had a "free iTunes card" promotion.  I'd since let the account go dormant and had accrued $10 dormancy fees for the last 2 months in a row.  As I got there I'd forgotten that my good friend -- who I served in the Elders Quorum with -- was the branch manager.  Also, my next door neighbor is a customer service rep.  They reversed the fees and he took me out to lunch on his dime.

Earlier in the day I'd gotten the approval to rehire a student that is more knowledgeable on SharePoint than anyone I know on campus.  That will be a great boon to me.  I didn't expect my boss to approve it so quickly.  Then he reported to work moments before a major meeting to discuss the future of SharePoint in the new IT reorganization.  It was definitely a blessed course of events.

Tonight Tara taught the FHE lesson on the concept of "optimism".  I believe that will lead to great goodness in our family as we continue to practice.  The thing I want to caution against is the Polyanna Principle; where people will regard one as being too positive to be real.  Do you think that's a valid concern?

1 comment:

Sam Lee said...

This has always been one of my favorite books & movies (Hayley Mills aside). I don't think the Pollyanna Principle ignores evil/bad/non-reality situations, but chooses to push yourself and others forward to being better.
"What men and women need is encouragement. Their natural resisting powers should be strengthened, not weakened.... Instead of always harping on a man's faults, tell him of his virtues. Try to pull him out of his rut of bad habits. Hold up to him his better self, his REAL self that can dare and do and win out!..." - Eleanor H. Porter
It's always reminded me a bit of the verse: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." - Philippians 4:8