Tuesday, September 4, 2012

T-190 : Air GPS

I don't fly very often but last time I did I was playing with my phone wishing there was a GPS app that could tell me what I was flying over.  Does anyone know if such a thing exists?  Is there a limitation because there's no cell signals up that high?  Is it something that would interfere with the in-flight navigation?  Couldn't they pipe through a consumerized version of what the captain's looking at in the cockpit?  When we cruised to Alaska on the Disney Wonder earlier this year there was a channel on the shipboard TV that gave constant updates of where we were on a map, what speed we were travelling, wind speed, etc.  We also watched a video on the YouTubes the other night of a first-class cabin on a Thai Airline that had a similar tracking channel.  If it doesn't exist today, somebody should make it exist.  I think it'd be a big hit!

2 comments:

Weston Harmon said...

The do have this on flights. Some carriers have tv's in the head rests that show you where you are. others you can use wifi and the Internet carrier shows you on a map where you are, the speed you are traveling and the estimated time of arrival. It's fun to travel and know where you are.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, Weston. I was hoping one of my frequent flyer friends would have good news for me. So, have you seen this on all flights? Only certain carriers? Only in first class? I need to get out more.