Saturday, September 22, 2012

T-159 : Tavern Apples

Last night we got the see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir live in concert. The only time I'd seen them live in the past was either at conference or at a 30-minute performance of Music and the Spoken Word.  This was a full-fledged concert with an intermission and everything!  I was very impressed.  I marveled at the fact that I was watching the choir that my dad used to watch on KSL so often on Sunday mornings.  I remember many times being disappointed that he wanted to watch that when so many other good things must be on.  Over time the appeal of the choir definitely grew on me.  Many of the numbers they performed last night touched me, including a Nigerian Carol, "Betelehemu" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WdQ1xSkk4) -- which Lloyd Newell joked that the choir was actually singing and moving at the same time -- and the end number when Lloyd, the organist the conductor, the entire orchestra, and of course the choir looked directly at the audience and sang an A Capella version of "God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again".  The one I'm sharing with you below probably touched me the most, though.  Let me know what you think:

 

By the way, the blog entry title is a nod to a Family Circus comic I remember from years back when one of the children referred to them as the "Mormon Tavern Apple Choir".  If anyone can find that panel for me I'll give you bonus points!

1 comment:

Tara McLean Derricott said...

It was a good night... I am especially glad that all of our family was able to attend together!