Wednesday, August 8, 2012

T-230 : Open Redulion?

I had toe surgery today.  I was originally schedule to go in at noon.  They called last night and asked me to come in at 9:00 a.m.  Then they called again this morning around 7:00 a.m. saying that they'd had a cancellation and asking if I could come in as soon as possible.  We left the house around 7:30 a.m.  At the hospital I got to experience a number of things I'd never experienced before.  I remember a hospital robe that made my chest sweat, initialing my toe with a purple Sharpie (with a bonus witness-initial by the nurse) an EKG, an IV, and something they slipped in the IV just before being wheeled to the surgery room that was advertised as likely knocking me unconscious within 15 seconds.  I'm quite sure it did just that.  They apparently wheeled me to surgery around 8:30 a.m. then back to the recovery room around 10:15 a.m.  I dozed off and on for a couple of hours before I was wheel-chaired out to the car to be chauffeured home by Tara after stopping briefly to pick up a walking boot and some pain medication prescriptions.  I've been so relaxed since then.  The pain medicine is really doing a good job.  I've only felt brief discomfort in the toe region all day.  A side "benefit" is the slothfulness that's been thrust upon me by hydrocodone/acetaminophen.  In some small sense I can understand the appeal of drug use; not that I in any way condone it.  It feels pretty good right now, though.

So, I do have one question for any of you with more knowledge than I of handwriting recognition and/or medical terminology.  On the ID bracelet (pictured) is written a number of words that I mostly recognize but can't quite make one out.  Here's what I think it says:

"Open Redulion R (circled, meaning Right) great toe dislocation"

The question, then, is what "Redulion" means?  I googled "Redulion", "Rodulion", "Redulron", and "Rodulron" without much success.  What am I missing?

2 comments:

Beth said...

Glad to hear you made it through the surgery, and that the pain meds work!

Unknown said...

That makes me feel even better, Beth.

By the way, I found out from Tara's Aunt Cheryl that "redulion" is actually "reduction", as in "reduce the dislocation".

Also, don't forget to read on in future posts about how I got to do it a second time!