Tuesday, October 9, 2012

T-136 : Opined Onions


Today when I pulled into the garage I smelt the definite smell of onions.  I'm grateful that Tara enjoys preserving foods for a rainy day.  Speaking of words that end in "nion", my opinion is that this quote from a feller I hadn't previously heard of is one that definitely doesn't stink:
We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still.
~ John Stuart Mill
On Liberty, 1859

There's one specific person at work that I have had the hardest time dealing with because his ideas are so drastically different than mine.  Recently I was forced to spend some time with him and came out better because of it.  I now respect the fact that we can come up with better ideas when we work together than either of us would have been able to alone.  Differences have value.  In fact, we'd be worse off without them; in my opinion.

How do you deal with others who have opinions different than yours?

1 comment:

Tara McLean Derricott said...

I make them smell onions for 24 hours!