Tuesday, October 16, 2012

T-118 : Ahold Not?

I tried to type the word "ahold" the other day but got the evil red squiggly underline telling me I couldn't do it that way.  So, I went in search of a second opinion.  Grammar Girl to the rescue!


"Ahold" Versus "A Hold"

The one-worder “ahold” often goes with the verb “get” and the preposition “of,” as in “Get ahold of yourself!” You could also say, “I grabbed ahold of his arm” to mean “I grasped his arm.” Dictionary.com (1) calls the word “ahold” informal, but it’s been around since 1600 or 1610. As for the two words “a hold,” you could say, “He’s got a hold on me” or “I put a hold on that library book.” (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/one-word-or-two.aspx) 

So, if you want to get ahold of me to talk more about it just leave a comment. 

No comments: