Tuesday, October 23, 2012

T-104 : Cassandra Pollyana

The other day I was listening to the "Stuff to Blow Your Mind" podcast when they mentioned the terms, "awfulize" and "be a Cassandra".  I don't recall ever hearing either term before so I tweeted about them () hoping to remind myself to look them up later and/or to have someone help me understand.  I'd forgotten about that until tonight when I was reading Wired magazine and came across an article entitled "The Rules of Panic" by Clive Thompson.  In his closing comments he says, "...like the Cassandras of the past, I'm wrong to panic...".  So, I think I'm beginning to understand.  A Cassandra is someone who awfulizes or panics.  This seems a contrast to a Pollyanna, one who seemingly sees the positive in everything.  Maybe a healthy dose of each and some balance are the key.  Am I on the right track?

2 comments:

Tara McLean Derricott said...

This is the first I have heard of "a Cassandra"... interesting.

halothair said...

In some ancient myth Cassandra caused disaster and destruction. I am not sure that that is right because i read it in a book. Hope I helped!!!

Emily