Saturday, January 5, 2013

T-49 : Hail Mary

What does it mean to say a Hail Mary?  The book I'm reading is talking about a priest prescribing this to someone who has come for confession.  Wikipedia goes on and on about things that I don't have time to read right now.  Catholicity.com shows it as:

Hail Mary

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
So, does that mean that, when the priest says that you need to say 3 Hail Mary's, you'd just repeat this prayer out loud 3 times?  Would you do so right then and there or back home in the comfort of your room before bed that night or what?  Someone with more non-sheltered Idaho/Utah life please enlighten me. 

2 comments:

Scott M said...

I don't know if you do it on the spot or go home, but yeah, I think you repeat the prayer verbatim. Mary is an intercessory, like all the saints, but she is the most revered. She is supposed to be able to intercede between you and God because of her virtue and carry your prayers to Him.

Unknown said...

That helps me wrap my head around the concept of "intercessory", Scott. Thanks!