Monday, January 7, 2013

T-43 : Snow Lines

When the snow-covered roads start to melt off, do you follow the path cleared by traffic or the lines on the road?  To me it's like the road department painted the lines there to keep us on the straight and narrow.  Often we cut corners, even if it means crossing the line, in order to get to where we're going a little bit more quickly.  When enough of us do so on snowy roads the pavement underneath eventually shows through.  At that point it's like the travelers have taken back the law from the painty line guys.  It's like they're saying, "We want to drive on THIS part of the road!".  I find myself trying to drive in between the lines, even if it means keeping my tires on snow as opposed to asphalt.  I'm probably wrong, though.  Is there any legal precedent for what's the safest thing to do?

1 comment:

Tara McLean Derricott said...

I have to admit that I stay on the asphalt because I feel safer getting better traction.