Friday, March 19, 2010

Just, Verdant...

Lately I've been listening to NPR in the mornings as I get ready for the day.  I've been struck by one advertisement that always mentions that their goal is, "...a more just, verdant, and peaceful world...".  That sounds nice.  I often remark to Tara that I'm only interested in truth, justice, and the American way.

In contrast, I just finished a George Carlin book.  Don't get me wrong.  I thoroughly enjoy some of his stuff, especially "meat cake".  While some of his insights are clever and thought-provoking, though, he strikes me as generally pessimistic and down.  I imagine he'd mock those looking for justice, verdancy, and peace as loonies or flower children or something.

Be good.  Do well.  Have fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that makes me wonder what "verdant" means. According to dictionary.com: ver·dant   
–adjective
1.green with vegetation; covered with growing plants or grass: a verdant oasis.
2.of the color green: a verdant lawn.
3.inexperienced; unsophisticated:

So does he want a green world, or an inexperienced one?

=)

Unknown said...

I'm just happy that we got you into the dictionary! By the way, the collar on your shirt looks very verdant.