Thursday, November 29, 2012

T-66 : Dough Nuts?

In the 6th Grade Spelling Bee I was one of the last 3 contestants.  My word was "dnt".  I started off with a "D" followed by a confident "O".  Then I paused.  I pondered whether to go with the "U" "G" "H" or to head right for the "N" "U" "T".  A vision popped into my head of the "DONUT" shop in Idaho Falls and I was convinced.  The second vision I had of a tub of "DOUGH" having anything to do with the tasty morsel paled in comparison.  With all the confidence I could muster I finished off with the "N" "U" "T" and was promptly met with a frown from the judge and politely asked to sit down.  The next part of the story is a bit hazy in my memory but I seem to recall sitting in the audience watching Jeff and Kenneth battle over numerous words that neither of them could spell until one of them finally got one.  Further, I imagine that I could have spelled at least one of those that they'd missed if only I wasn't dismissed for missing the "UGH".  Perhaps this disappointing tale has shaped my life for the better after all.  I like to think so.  I was probably bitter for years, though.  Don't let this happen to you.  Focus on enjoying the "small usually ring-shaped cake fried in fat" rather than persnicketing over some silly letters in a contest.

1 comment:

Scott M said...

Seems a bit of an unfair word to me. The only right way to spell something is the way people tend to spell it. Doughnut has been spelled donut so many times that both are acceptable. Kinda like drive through vs. drive thru.

And I had your experience with the diabetic shock with a guy at work once. He went all spaced out. We used orange juice. Honey. Thats a good tip.