Thursday, November 29, 2012

T-67 : Diabetic Reaction

Today at a work luncheon one of my coworkers had a diabetic reaction.  I've never really been around someone when something like this happened so it was a little freaky to me.  We were giving him soda pop and candy to try to get sugar in his system as fast as we could.  When he finally came out of it he said that honey is actually the best emergency antidote because it's nearly pure sugar and that the bees have already processed it.  He's got some in his desk drawer.  So, I'll know better next time to run downstairs for the honey instead of to the candy jar for a holiday Snickers square.  Hopefully this is helpful to you and maybe you can even share with me even more tips?

1 comment:

Arlen said...

My son has Type 1 diabetes and we have lots of honey in the house and in his "emergency kit" that he take with him when he travels. We gave small containers of it to his teachers starting in Middle School, along with directions about how to recognize the symptoms of low blood sugar.