Wednesday, November 7, 2012

T-85 : Regimen Imposition

I'm excited about the change I made in my life nearly 4 years ago when I moved to Rexburg.  I lost 40 pounds by becoming active and eating better.  I think I've made the mistake more than once since then of not being understanding of why others couldn't do the same.  I've been self-righteous on occasion.  This thought, then, really touched me:
"The one thing more difficult than following a regimenis not imposing it on others"~ Marcel Proust
(1871-1922)
Thank you, Marcel.  This thought also comforts me when I see drivers coast through stop signs, pedestrians meander outside the crosswalks, or even shoppers cut in line in a hurry to get through the checkout.  Live and let live, right?  It's as if I'm now able to say, "I think I know better but I don't know your circumstances so I'll hold forth on the judgement and -- even though I don't hold 'Mother Mary' in as high esteem as the Beatles seem to -- just let it be".

1 comment:

Beth said...

I often have to remind my self that everyone is just doing the best they can --even those lazy bums who don't put their carts in the cart corral at Walmart.