Tuesday, December 11, 2012

T-65 : December Thunder

On the first day of December in the year of our Lord 2012 there was a thunderstorm that produced thunder (hence the name), lightning, and hail!  I don't recall ever having seen such a sight in any Winter month.  I am aging, however, and my memory is fading.  It's hard to believe that it hasn't happened in my 44+ years.

I just returned from a business trip to New York.  While I was there I drove out to Rockaway Beach for a few minutes just to look around at the remnants of what Hurricane Sandy had done to the area.  I didn't have a lot of time before I had to get back to JFK to catch my flight home but I did see many piles of debris in the streets, seemingly awaiting the sanitation trucks.  It probably looked worse earlier.

We went on a family trip down South the year after Hurricane Katrina and saw many more evidences of high water marks and devastation.  Maybe that's because we spent more time there.  Maybe it was a worser storm.  At any rate, I consider myself lucky to live in the relatively-protected area of the Mountain West.

What's the worst/weirdest weather you've seen?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Flood of 1977.

http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_13074.html

http://www.jaha.org/FloodMuseum/1936.html