Friday, December 14, 2012

T-62 : Smug Mormons?

Strange BrewYears ago I had a good friend who confided in me that he thought too many Mormons he knew were smug.  Wikipedia says, "Self-righteousness (also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness, and holier-than-thou attitudes) is a feeling or display of (usually) smug moral superiority derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person."  I think he was mostly correct.  I think we as a people tend to think that, because the Church is true, that all those who aren't members are somehow less than blessed.  We forget that there are many members who aren't living the tenets; let alone with less goodness in their hearts than some of our "external" brothers and sisters.  What it boils down to in my mind is that it doesn't matter if you have more or less holes in your swiss cheese than I do.  There's reasons for both of us to exist.  In the words of Jerry Maguire (or was it Rodney King?), "Can't we all just get along"?

2 comments:

MONT-E ZOOMER said...

This exact point was brought home to me this past week when a friend of mine made holes in my swiss cheese.

Unknown said...

I'd love to hear the whole story!