Tuesday, December 18, 2012

T-59 : Berry Birdies

Today I saw birds out the window flitting and fleeting.  When I approached to see what was the matter it didn't take long to see that they were voraciously eating some sort of berry from trees that had already dropped everything but.  I remember seeing a similar sight at the in-laws' tree in Montana.  Apparently it happens more than I realized.  In fact, BHG.com even goes so far as to prescribe which types of berry plants will attract birds in your backyard: (http://www.bhg.com/gardening/design/nature-lovers/best-berry-plants-for-birds/).  Any idea why they wait until mid-December?

1 comment:

Scott M said...

I speculate that either they have better things to eat during the fat months and so only turn to berries during the lean months OR they have learned to "save some for later" Or these crab apples go down easier after a lot of ripening, sugaring, and fermenting over many months on the branch. In other words, nope, I don't know!