Tuesday, August 16, 2011

T-252 : Vouch Safely

I came across a new word a couple of different times today, "vouchsafe".  I don't know that I'd ever heard it before.  I googled it and here's what I found:
    vouch·safe
    verb /vouCHˈsāf/  /ˈvouCHˌsāf/ 
    vouchsafed, past participle; vouchsafed, past tense; vouchsafes, 3rd person singular present; vouchsafing, present participle
    1. Give or grant (something) to (someone) in a gracious or condescending manner
      • - it is a blessing vouchsafed him by heaven
    2. Reveal or disclose (information)
      • - you'd never vouchsafed that interesting tidbit before
The "gracious or condescending" part makes sense since the first instance I heard of it was from The Iliad, which I'm listening to as I exercise at lunch time.  I read it again tonight in another Newbery Award winner that I'm reading for my bedtime and brush-teeth time Gay Neck - The Story of a Pigeon.  So, now I've vouchsafed to you something you didn't know.  What have you got for me?  Do you think we as a society vouchsafe too often or not often enough?  How about you yourself?

3 comments:

MONT-E ZOOMER said...

I thought vouchsafe was to vouch for the credibility of shared information. As in saying, "I can vouchsafe for that!"

Unknown said...

I'm new at this but I think the proper term is, "I can vouch for that!"

MONT-E ZOOMER said...

You're probably right! :)