Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tie Guys

On campus there is an employee dress code:

"
BYU-Idaho Dress and Grooming Standards for Employees



Employees occupy a position of role model for students at BYU-Idaho. As role models, a higher and more formal dress and grooming standard is expected of employees when on campus than is expected of students. Specifically:

1. Male employees are expected to wear a shirt and tie with dress slacks. Jeans are not appropriate professional attire. In areas where shirts, ties, and dress slacks are not suitable for the work environment, the department chair or director, in consultation with the vice president, will determine satisfactory attire, including the wearing of uniforms where appropriate. Extreme or immodest clothing styles are also unacceptable.

Male employees are expected to maintain a clean and well-cared-for appearance. Hairstyles should be neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar and the ear. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. Men are expected to be clean shaven; beards are not acceptable. Mustaches, if worn, should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Earrings and other body piercing are unacceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas."

I think it's funny to walk across campus and be perceived and greeted differently by fellow tie-wearers.

I do enjoy wearing a tie, though.  I think it makes me behave better.  I also wear a white shirt on Fridays; opposite to the way most people look forward to "Casual Friday".  Tara and I go to the temple on Friday evenings.  So it's a good excuse to dress up another notch.

I also enjoy wearing a shirt with a pocket in it because it's a good place for my phone, notepad, and pencil.  I don't have a pocket protector.  I'm a new-age nerd; we don't use protectors.

No comments: