So, did you read this fur?
- FARTHER denotes physical advancement in distance.
- FURTHER denotes advancement to greater degree, as in time.
The correct answers to the above examples follow:
- It is farther down the road. (For distance physically traveled.)
- You read further in the book. (To a greater degree than where you are now.)
- You further your education. (To a greater degree than what you have now.)
Monday, February 21, 2011
T-334 : Farther Further
I was thinking the other day about the difference between "farther" and "further". I had to look it up to be sure. I didn't realize that they actually have different meanings: