Wednesday, May 1, 2013

T-20 : Book Backage

Recently I've been called on to help Emily with her 7th-Grade math.  I think it might actually be 8th-Grade level or pre-algebra or something.  At any rate, I'm intrigued by a couple of things.

First of all, I like the fact that the answers to the odd questions are in the back of the book.  I wish more of life were like that.  It's nice to figure out what you think the answer to the problem is -- or at least get a good way toward a resolution -- then have a definitive source to look to for confirmation.

Second, I finally realize how applicable all those math skills are to my current profession.  Mr. Golightly was right.  All the times we pressed him to convert to our way of thinking that we'd "never use this stuff in real life"; I now see I was wrong.  I don't know if it's that way for everyone.  But I imagine the problem-solving skills could certainly be useful to someone outside the realm of Information Technology, as I am, too.

What do you say?  Have you used any of the skills that you learned in high school that you thought you'd never have need for?  Do you have a good source for answers to everyday problems?

No comments: