Thursday, June 21, 2018

06/21 #OTDSD

OTD: On This Day
DSD: Delmar Derricott

1957

Longest day of year. It's 10 months today that I left home...Boy!  What a wonderful day! 9 1st meetings that kept us really hustling! (Negro) Met a lot of very nice people. A lot of Catholics such as the Grants - (he - she not) he's pretty strong & didn't want to listen but we had a very long discussion & I finally got them to take the B.M. - C.B. later - "It's against what my Priest tells me!" Mrs. Cory, next door - very nice & yet didn't want a copy until she told her husband. Mrs. Benano - very nice - all these on Myrock Ave - I've changed it's name to My-gosh Ave! Mr. Hemry was just coming home - I seem quite impressed of him - he seems quite honest & sincere...he said, "I'll make it a pt. to be here next Friday." Lost his wife 2 yr. ago...was very happy we stopped...The Dunbars - were quite a rowdy family - a little unusual - but nice & were interested in spite of several disturbances. I finally got through lesson & B - CB - being as we would not take donations they we having refreshments when we go back on July 1st. Have a very nice looking daughter - one or 3.  The Johnsons this morn - very, very nice. $5.00 for B.M. & build. fund. "You forget your change this morn!" He'd been to Idaho Falls - very impressed...He's a M___ & they seemed quite interested in the B.M. C.B. Another place next to them - a young girl - mother-in-law and friend - who started giggling & it was very rude...I got a little peeved, but I doubt if it showed...65 h. this week 32 meetings! 28 1st! Our best - Went to the Harris' - took D&C - & her bapt. gown - Eternal Marriage - Finally got her to read some scriptures. She's going to be a fireball - Mr. Belden - fell while del. a package today & is in hospital - skull fracture.
1958
First day of summer - hah!  Didn't rain & we could have gone out - but it was surely black & dreary...Got a nice letter from Sis. Longworth in Humidity Haven! Is keeping my shirt for exhibition! Sunday same "you know what?" - Sis. Jacobs wrote with Newport news. They've really got a changed organization - said they miss me.  We went to "The Sheepman" - very good!  Got back & there was a note on the car that was packed in front of the chapel. It was from Bro. Barker and he wanted to see us - so we went right over - they finally talked us into having supper there - Si. B. is a wonderful person - I had a good talk with her again...She thinks I'm a pretty good guy.  Bro. B . said in the Army he'd go to the Chaplain but here he goes to the Elders - has to work Sunday morning & didn't like it - has a few funny ideas - wants one of us to take his S.S. class Bro Betz called me for a 2 1/2 min. talk.  Watched T.V till after the late show was over! Got a 97 cent sport shirt at Newberry's - fair!

No comments: