Tuesday, March 1, 2011

T-323 : Warehouse Trickery

I don't know if it's bias or preconceived notion or something else but I don't like warehouse stores.  I think they're a rip-off.  Part of my opinion stems from the fact that the nearest one's have always been a 30- to 60-minute drive for me.  When I calculate the gas dollars on top of the membership dues I shy away.  This article seems to bring out a few more good points:

Learn the Tricks Warehouse Stores Use to Bring Out Your Inner Impulse Buyer

What side are you on?  I can be swayed.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I love costco. But I don't go crazy there, I always prices per item or oz. verses grocery store prices. The thing is that they save you on other things you don't normally think about. For instance, we used our costco discount when we bought our car and saved $3000, so I think that about covers the $50 membership fee.

Scott M said...

I would bet that the average consumer spends more as a member of one of these stores than they would absent a membership.

As an aside, isn't it cool that these stores have such awesome stuff that people will pay just to be able to shop there? I think thats a pretty remarkable achievement.... and they do have awesome stuff.

Unknown said...

You've both made valid points. I'll add them to my overall view.