Wednesday, January 5, 2011

T-362 : Best Books

I like learning. I have a degree in Elementary Education. I am a "tech guy" by day but I continue to teach Adult Education classes by night. In my free time, when I'm not on the computer, I like reading newspapers, magazines, and especially books. I volunteer with the local library foundation. I dream of having walls of my home lined with IKEA shelves filled with my favorite books. One of my favorite scriptures is found in Doctrine & Covenants 88:118:

"And as all have not afaith, seek ye diligently and bteach one another words of cwisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best dbooks words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."

I've highlighted the phrase, "...seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom...". To me that phrase means that the truth is out there and that each book I read has some portion of that truth in it. When I match up what I'm reading with the truth found in the scriptures it helps me understand the Gospel more.

One of my favorite online tools of late is a website called "Goodreads ":

"what is Goodreads ?
Goodreads is the largest social network for readers in the world. We have more than 4,200,000 members who have added more than 110,000,000 books to their shelves. A place for casual readers and bona-fide bookworms alike, Goodreads members recommend books, compare what they are reading, keep track of what they've read and would like to read, form book clubs and much more. Goodreads was launched in December 2006. "

My favorite part of this site is the ability for me to save books I've read and those that I want to read along with being able to keep notes about the books.

Next time I'll share how much I like Scrabble...

2 comments:

JLTan said...

But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes+12:12&version=NASB

Unknown said...

Good point, JLTan. Is that Ryan? Anyway, balance and guarding against excess in anything is prudent, right?

2 Peter 1:6
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;