Saturday, March 9, 2013

T-30 : Serendipitous Moments

Manufactured SerendipityI'm just reading an article about Michael Jordan in ESPN Magazine.  It's talking about his best friend, George Koehler.  The story goes that when Michael first landed in Chicago in 1984 there was nobody at the airport to pick him up.  George, a young limo driver, noticed and gave him a ride.  They've been together ever since.

I think George took advantage of what I'd call a serendipitous moment.  I think the fact that they've been friends now for almost 30 years shows that George didn't have ulterior motives.  More than that, I look at what he did and want to emulate that attitude in my life.  In fact, I made a note to myself just the other day that I want to create more of these moments.

As a tech guy there are often times when acquaintances will catch me in passing and mention something like, "I've been meaning to ask you...".  At times it's frustrating.  That's most likely my fault.  I need to move from a "glass-half-empty" attitude to one in which I actually go in search of folks who might be prompted to ask me something based on my appearance in their sphere.  Perhaps this is another name for active networking.  Regardless, it's one of my new goals.

By the way, have you been meaning to ask me anything?

No comments: